Firefighters have tackled a chimney fire at a property on the outskirts of Guildford this evening.
Two appliances from Guildford were mobilised to a small fire at the property on The Street in Wonersh Surrey.
The young couple and baby were given shelter at a neighbouring property in the village whilst crews dealt with the incident after being called just after 7.30pm on Saturday evening. The fire was put out by 8pm and crews left the scene shortly after.
A fire service spokesman said the fire was not serious. He said it was a common chimney issue associated with old properties. He said there was no danger of the fire spreading to nearby properties during the incident. But he gave the following advised as temperatures drop and the colder months approach.
Homeowners are being warned to keep their chimneys in check to prevent a house fire. “We’d urge anyone with a multi-fuel stove, woodburner or open fire to ensure their chimneys and flues are kept clean, well maintained and swept on a regular basis by a professional chimney sweep.”